June is Men’s Health Month and a time to bring awareness to all health issues men face. The leading cause of death for men in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is heart disease.
Heart-healthy recipes of the Mediterranean variety – including fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, olive oil and nuts – may reduce inflammation in the body. The American Institute of Cancer Research (AICR) states that Mediterranean diets – in addition to potentially reducing inflammation – may also reduce cancer risk.
“Heart disease and cancer share a common risk factor: chronic inflammation,” the AICR website states. “A plant-based diet with plenty of vegetables, fruits and beans seems to decrease inflammation. Studies link a more Mediterranean-style diet with lower levels of the blood proteins that are signs of inflammation.”
It’s advised to check with a medical professional if you have any questions about certain diets or food choices.
Consider the below heart-healthy recipes:
- Couscous salad with chickpeas
- Walnut Tomato Sauce with Zucchini Lasagna Noodles
- Chicken with mushroom sauce, sautéed greens and pecans
- Whole wheat spaghetti with turkey meatballs
- Chicken or salmon kebabs with creamy tzatziki sauce
- Black bean salad (or salsa)
- Pomegranate-grapefruit avocado toast