On Saturday, April 29, 2023, more than 60,000 of you put on your sneakers to participate and fundraise for PanCAN PurpleStride, the ultimate walk to end pancreatic cancer. What a day it was!
PurpleStride is an annual walk dedicated to raising awareness and funds for pancreatic cancer research and free support and resources through PanCAN Patient Services. This year’s event was filled with fun and inspiration that we hope left a lasting impact on everyone who participated.
Thanks to you, nearly $16.5 million has been raised so far, which all goes to creating a world where all patients with pancreatic cancer will thrive. We can’t thank you enough for your tireless dedication. We’re close to hitting our fundraising goal and you have until June 30 to keep fundraising for PurpleStride!
Participants of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities came together in support of the movement. At 60 events across the nation, everyone cheered each other on, creating a palpable energy that was impossible to ignore.
PurpleStride events across the nation featured inspiring speakers who shared their personal experiences with pancreatic cancer. Survivors, caregivers, and advocates took to the stage to talk about the impact that this disease has had on their lives and why events like PurpleStride are so important. Their stories were a powerful reminder of the need for continued research and support for pancreatic cancer patients and their families.
PanCAN President and CEO Julie Fleshman, JD, MBA, attended PanCAN PurpleStride Los Angeles which was held at the Santa Monica Pier. “It’s been over 20 years since my own father was diagnosed and passed away from pancreatic cancer and since I joined this organization. I continue to be amazed by the immense outpouring of support for our mission from people like you and organizations across the country. The funds you raise today will enable critical research and services for patients,” Julie said.
Also in attendance at several PurpleStride events nationwide were a number of notable celebrities and special guests who showed up to support PanCAN’s mission:
- Actor Rosario Dawson took steps in Washington, D.C., to honor her father who is a pancreatic cancer survivor.
- British comedian, actor, author, and four-year pancreatic cancer survivor Eric Idle served as this year’s survivor speaker at PurpleStride Los Angeles.
- Jean and Emily Trebek, wife and daughter of the late “Jeopardy!” host Alex Trebek who passed away from the disease in 2020 attended PurpleStride Los Angeles.
- “Star Trek” actors Kitty Swink, a 19-year pancreatic cancer survivor, Armin Shimerman, and John Billingsley, who lost his mom to the disease, took steps for the third consecutive year at PurpleStride Los Angeles.
- Lisa Swayze, writer, director, actress, dancer and wife of the late Patrick Swayze who passed away from pancreatic cancer in 2009 attended PurpleStride New York City.
- Spectrum NY1 news anchor and pancreatic cancer survivor Ruschell Boone served as the event emcee at PurpleStride New York City.
- Franke Previte, singer, songwriter, and Academy Award-winning composer who co-wrote the hits “(I’ve Had) The Time of My Life” and “Hungry Eyes” for the soundtrack to “Dirty Dancing,” attended PurpleStride New York City.
- Laurie Weiskopf was Grand Marshal at PurpleStride Phoenix in honor of her late husband, professional golfer Tom Weiskopf. She attended with professional golfer Gary Player who lost his wife Vivienne to the disease, and Barbara and Jack Nicklaus whose father, Charlie, passed away from pancreatic cancer.
Did you feel the sense of community and camaraderie that permeated throughout the day? We sure did! Now, enjoy these photos from PurpleStride events from across the country illustrating how you and thousands of others turned the nation purple for PanCAN PurpleStride.
Four-year survivor Eric Idle (second from right) with Trek Against Pancreatic Cancer team members (from left to right) John Billingsley, Kitty Swink, a 19-year pancreatic cancer survivor, and Armin Shimerman.
Actor Rosario Dawson attented PanCAN PurpleStride Washington, D.C.
(Left to right) Emily Trebek, Jean Trebek, and PanCAN President and CEO Julie Fleshman.
Spectrum NY1 news anchor and pancreatic cancer survivor Ruschell Boone served as the event emcee at PurpleStride New York City.
Lisa Swayze and Franke Previte attended PanCAN PurpleStride New York City.
Photo courtesy of @jmichaeljames on Instagram.
Photo courtesy of MiddayMichelle on Facebook.
Rain or shine, you showed up to support everyone affected by pancreatic cancer! Photo courtesy of @mary_pinto82 on Instagram.
Photo courtesy of @ecb1979 on Instagram.
Photo courtesy of @solace59 on Instagram.
Remember, you have until June 30 to continue fundraising for your PanCAN PurpleStride event. Raise $1,000+ and you’ll become a member of the PanCAN PurpleStride Grand Club and receive an official Grand Club hoodie.
And make sure to save the date for PanCAN PurpleStride 2024 happening on Saturday, April 27, 2024!