A registered dietitian who is familiar with cancer patients can evaluate the needs of pancreatic cancer patients and help design a diet that is best for them. Ask your doctor or nurse for a referral to a dietitian who works with cancer patients or patients with gastrointestinal disorders.
Here are questions to consider asking your dietitian:
- Are there foods I should avoid?
- What types of food should I try to include in my diet?
- How should I change my diet to account for the digestive symptoms I am experiencing?
- How should I handle lack of appetite or account for fatigue?
- What should I know about pancreatic enzymes?
- Are there special diet recommendations for diabetes?
Treatment and diet questions
- How will my treatment affect my appetite?
- Are there nutritional recommendations to best sustain myself while on treatment?
- How should I change my diet to account for side effects as a result of treatment?
Meal planning and recipes
- What are some examples of things I should eat for breakfast/lunch/dinner?
- Can you help me create a personalized meal plan?
- Are there any recipes or cookbooks you suggest?
- Are there specific diets that I should or should not follow to ensure that I am getting adequate nutrition?
Surgery and diet questions
- What should my diet include in the days and weeks before surgery?
- What dietary changes can I anticipate in the days and weeks following surgery?
- How will my diet be affected long-term following my surgery?
We can provide free resources on this topic, as well as a free Diet & Nutrition booklet and other questions to ask your dietitian. Contact us today.